What could more American than July 4th and everything that comes with it...fireworks, a bbq in the backyard, old glory flying high above? I’m talking, classic.
But, just because you’ll be sweating as it is (this is Oklahoma you know) that doesn’t mean you need to sweat the details of your July 4th menu also. Go with the traditional barbecue favorites, but add a little spice of your own for a simple yet savory summertime feast.
- Hamburgers. Could there be anything more quintessentially American? A tried and true classic if there ever was one, but ripe for a little flavor finagling. I like minced onion on my patties and a little salt personally. But, I’ve heard adding a little barbeque habanera sauce will add a kick that will send you into the next county. Something to try.
- Potato Salad. How about putting in onions, cheese, sour cream. And, you guessed it, a little bacon? It’s like a loaded baked potato. You’ve got to try it...I promise, you’ll love it.
- Buttered corn on the cob. No need to tamper with perfection. Right?
- A little green for the kiddos. Green bean casserole is a terrific side dish and easy to make. Or, something cool and leafy will help offset a hot and filling meal.
- Oh, and you got to have something fruity for dessert...peaches, blackberries, it’s all good. Or, you could just cut up a watermelon in two seconds flat. To me, it’s the perfect summer dessert.
Finally, add all the extras and you’re good to go... chips, drinks, and of course, your red, white, and blue décorations.
Now, nothing left to do but sit back and enjoy. Oh, and be sure to give thanks for your freedom.
Ahh, the joys of summer.Margo